From Preachers to Teachers
Truro Grammar School was founded by Walter Borlase in 1547 for the education of boys.
Two of its former pupils were Sir Humphry Davy, scientist and inventor of the Miner’s Safety Lamp, and the missionary Henry Martyn.
The Old Grammar School can still be seen in St Mary’s Street where the crest of the Borough Council is still in situ in the room where the boys would have toiled with their education.
In 1877 the school was re-formed as the Cathedral School and was situated behind the Cathedral. It eventually closed in 1960.
The image on the right depicts the interior of the Old Grammar School.