In 1861 to 1865 Edmund George Harvey, Rector at the time, noted the poor condition of the exterior of the church, which was insecure and had a dangerous roof. It was decided that the church should be demolished and J.L. Pearson was appointed the architect - he built the Cathedral that now stands were the Church once was. Today, only the south wall remains of St. Mary’s Church, which Pearson fought hard to save. However, within the Cathedral there is still St. Mary’s aisle that is home to many of the original artefacts.